How to install FreeBSD on 2nd removable UltraBay Drive of a Dell600 NoteBook

Gilbert Laprise gilbert.laprise at videotron.ca
Sat Aug 7 12:07:39 PDT 2004

I have Windows/XP install on my Dell 600 Notebook. Since with that
Notebook I have the option of booting from a removable Ultrabay disk
drive, I would like to install FreeBSD on the second drive.

The problem is that in order to initiate the installation whether I do
it using FTP, HTTP or NFS, I have to remove the 2nd drive to replace it
with a CD/DVD or Floppy drive to boot and start the install process.  It
is during this initial phase that my notebook hardware is detected.
Naturally at that time the 2nd drive is not in the ultrabay, so it is
not detected, but either the floppy or CD/DVD drive is. Once the
sysinstall program is running when I replace my boot device by the 2nd
disk, I don't see the second drive when I try to define the partition.

I have a local net with a desktop already running FreeBSD and a FreeBSG
5.1 bootable install CD.  Any suggestion how to proceed to install
FreeBSD on the 2nd UltraBay drive of my Dell 600 Notebook.

Gilbert Laprise