ADSL (1 dyn IP) => FreeBSD => WinGate => NAT Network???

Adam Smith adam at internode.com.au
Sat Aug 7 10:34:12 PDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:50:39PM +0400, Andrew said:
> Hi!
>
> I now need to test some applications, while keeping a part of the load
> on the Wingate machine. What I want to do is connect to internet via
> ADSL, using the bsd box, and let Wingate use the connection through the
> box.

I realise my previous reply indicated I didn't read your post thoroughly
enough, sorry!

Although, taking into account all of the information in my previous
message, you should be able to place WinGate in front of the BSD NAT box
and have your WinGate default gateway set to the BSD NAT box.

Alternatively, as I said earlier, it is preferable to let your router be
the default gateway of your network, and let the hosts go out through your
FreeBSD machine (or WinGate machine).

This way, you can configure a client's default gateway to *either* your
FreeBSD or WinGate machine, and everything from that point on will go out
through your router.  This won't work, unfortunately, if you have to
initiate your PPP connection from Windows or FreeBSD.  If you do, you'll
*have* to layer NAT on NAT to preserve both gateways.

Adam

> What is the best way to retain most of the NAT functionality?
> If you are happy to not know what Wingate is, try to assume that it is
> just another nat-box. Can bsd somehow "forward" connection, so that the
> nat-box almost feels like it has a real IP?
>
> Best regards,
> Andrew

Adam Smith
Internode	: http://www.internode.on.net
Phone		: (08) 8228 2999

Dog for sale:  Eats lots and is fond of children.