installation of FreeBSD 4.10 on Dell PowerEdge 650 fails after reboot with mountroot

Mark boxend at redtick.homeunix.com
Fri Aug 6 20:01:54 PDT 2004

I don't own a dell power edge but I seem to remember another thread with this same problem
and I think the problem seemed to be how the dell found the cdrom and harddrives, I think
if you look at how the ide/ata cables are run, this may be the problem, but my memory is flakky
hope this points you to the right fix.

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 07:21:15PM -0500, Spumonti wrote:
> Just tried installing FreeBSD 4.10 on a Dell PowerEdge 650.   No
> problems with the install, tried creating a partition with
> "dangerously dedicated" and also, just using the entire disk with
> standard bootmanager.
>
> Each time, after the initial reboot I get an error:
>
> Mounting root from ufs:ad0s1a
> Root mount failed: 6
> Mounting root from ufs:ad0a
> Root mount failed: 6
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:
> eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
> ? List valid disk boot devices
> <empty line> Abort manual input
>
> mountroot>
>
> I tried:
>
> mountroot> ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
>
> but that fails too.
>

> The disk is a Seagate 120GB and it's actually ad4, not ad0.  If I
> interrupt the boot process at:
>
> >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
> Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
> boot:
>
> and enter:
>
> >>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
> Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
> boot: 0:ad(4,a)/kernel
>
> the machine will boot properly.   I've tried two things I found while
> checking on this:
>
> 1.  Adding to loader.conf:
> rootdev="disk4s1a"
> root_disk_unit=0"
>
> 2.  Rebuilding the kernel and adding:
> options        ROOTDEVNAME=\"ufs:ad4s1a\"
>

> Neither of which worked.    Is there something I'm missing while doing
> the installation?   If I look in  /dev   the devices are there ad4,
> ad4s1, ad4s1a, ad4s1b, etc.
>
> About at wit's end ... any help would be great.

The information contained in this communication is confidential, private,
proprietary, or otherwise privileged and is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately.