Updating local copy of documentation

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Aug 6 12:44:35 PDT 2004

Tom Munro Glass <gentoo at tmgcon.com> writes:

> When you install FreeBSD, lots of useful documentation is installed in the
> articles and books directories under /usr/share/doc/ including the essential
> handbook.
>
> Is there a way of automatically updating this documentation - I thought that
> maybe this was done as a part of cvsup, make buildworld, etc, but apparently
> not? I realise that I can download the latest version with FTP, but it would
> be nice if this could be done as part of the normal maintenance tasks.

You can build it from source (see the Documentation Project Handbook),
but it would be a lot less work to just download the prebuilt ones.
It should be a pretty simple matter to do that in a script that you
can add to your "normal maintenance tasks."

Note that building the documentation requires you to install quite a
bit of software.  There's a port for it, of course, but if you're not
going to use jadetex (as one obvious example) for anything else, it's
overkill.  Especially if you're not going to try modifying the docs,
but just build them occasionally.