CVS Questions

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Aug 6 12:00:54 PDT 2004

> I was contemplating banging together a quick script to find the fastest
> CVS mirrors which essentially tries to retrieve a small distribution from
> all the available CVS servers.  Does this seem like the type of thing that
> would be well-recieved into the base-distro or ports?  Or would it simply
> be seen as putting extra load on the CVS servers?

The problem is that the response you would get would be only valid
for where you are running the script.   Every host in the world would
get different results, because they would have different conditions
and connections.

Having one person running something like that wouldn't put much
load on anything, but, if everyone in FreeBSD land fired something
like that up everytime they were to download stuff, it was add
unnecessary load.