clock problem

Ted Unangst tedu at coverity.com
Thu Aug 5 09:45:00 PDT 2004

I have an IBM thinkpad T40 running FreeBSD 4.10.  It does not support
apm, and acpi made the system very flaky.  This hardly matters, since
the BIOS suspend function still works.  However, when I open the lid,
the system clock is set to the same time it was when I closed the lid.
ie, close lid at 6:30pm, open lid at 9:00am next morning, and 'date'
tells me the time is 6:31pm yesterday.

This seems to be a matter of the system time relying on timecounters
only.  How do I disable this behavior, or have it use the CMOS clock?

Interesting sysctl values:
machdep.disable_rtc_set: 0
machdep.wall_cmos_clock: 1
machdep.i8254_freq: 1193182