Help needed...

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Aug 4 16:17:49 PDT 2004

On 2004-08-04 01:08, Lam Tuck Wai <tuckwai at evoluxion.com.sg> wrote:
> I am currently having a huge problem. My KDM refuse to start, so now I
> cannot get into my machine.
> [...]
> My question is how do I stop the KDM from loading during boot up?
> [...]
> I tried booting to single user but I cannot "su". So without root
> access I cannot change anything.

Booting into single-user mode doesn't require a "su".  You are probably
not booting into single-user mode.

Interrupt the boot loader by pressing SPACE at the prompt that says:

    Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt

Then enter single-user mode by:

    boot -s

When the single-user mode shell starts, check your filesystems and mount
them as read-write:

    # adjkerntz -i
    # swapon -a
    # fsck -p
    # mount -u /
    # mount -a

Try to locate the file that fires up kdm (it's probably /etc/ttys, but I
don't use KDE so I might be wrong about this).  Disable kdm and exit the
single-user mode shell.