Remote backup hosting setup?

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Wed Aug 4 05:37:56 PDT 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 4:11 AM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> we are currently developing a small program/service for our customers
>> exactly for this purpose.
>>
>> To just backup the data to a remote server is very easy, even on
>> Windows:
>> Use cygwin. It comes together with rsync and ssh. I recommend you use
>> rsync since it is the most effective AFAIK and the transfer is safe
>> (not
>> unimportant to law companies). Then you could run a nightly task to
>> backup
>> the data.
>
> what is unsafe of rsh for example if network through which is going the
> traffic is under your control?
>
> ssh is SLOW.

Howso?  Using rsync with SSH wrapper allows you to not only alter only
files that have been altered but as I understand it rsync will only
copy changes within files over to the remote site.  SSH can be used to
compress the transfer in addition to (of course) encrypting the
connection and transfer, and it can be partially automated to allow
login without passwords if you save the generated public key...

For the information supplied about what the customer would like done,
using the SSH with Rsync may be ideal for low cost and reliable backups
to a remote site.

-Bart