Can't log in KDE, kdeinit.core & ksplash.core dumps

Ahmad Zulkarnain alsemo at celcom.net.my
Tue Aug 3 03:43:06 PDT 2004

Hi guys,

I try loggin in KDE usin Alsemo (my normal user's id) and put the
password then I hit [Enter]. The KDE's splash screen appeared and all
of the sudden the splash screen is gone and froze. Ctrl+Alt+F* and
Ctrl+Alt+BackSpace didn't do any good and the mouse is immobilized. I
had to hard-reboot and when the KDM greeted me again, I try loggin in
to KDE again usin Alsemo but after I hit [Enter], the screen went back
to KDM creatin an endless cycle of tryin to log in but failed. dmesg
tells me:

pid 676 (ksplash), uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 687 (kdeinit), uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 688 (kdeinit), uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 690 (kdeinit), uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
pid 693 (kdeinit), uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

and there's kdeinit.core and ksplash.core dumps in my home directory.
There's also a .xsession-errors file which says:

startkde: Starting up...
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
QSettings: malformed line '' in group 'General'
QSettings: malformed line '' in group 'General'
QSettings: malformed line '' in group 'General'
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
QSettings: malformed line '' in group 'General'
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-686' to 'kded'
ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
QSettings: malformed line '' in group 'General'
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
QSettings: malformed line '' in group 'General'
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-689' to 'knotify'
ERROR: Communication problem with knotify, it probably crashed.
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
QSettings: malformed line '' in group 'General'
startkde: Shutting down...
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

I'm totally lost. I tried disablin KDM in /etc/ttys and Alsemo can log
in X (not KDE). When I enable KDM again, the same error persist. The
mind-bogglin thing bout this is that root can log in KDE without
problem. Help/tips are very much appreciated. If the output of
kdeinit.core & ksplash.core is needed, I'll post it in the next email.
Thanks!

- --
Karl
http://www.alsemo.isdangerous.com