gdm automatic login

Chris Radlinski radlinskic at acm.org
Mon Aug 2 20:39:44 PDT 2004

I'm running Gnome 2.4 on 5.2.1-RELEASE.  I've configured gdm to run at
boot time and would like it to automatically log me in.  However, it
always prompts me for a password.  Scanning the archives, I saw that
others suggested copying /etc/pam.d/gdm to /etc/pam.d/gdm-autologin.  I
did this but it didn't fix anything.  Here's my gdm/gdm-autologin:

#
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/pam.d/gdm,v 1.7 2003/04/30 21:57:54 markm Exp $
#
# PAM configuration for the "gdm" service
#

# auth
auth            required        pam_nologin.so          no_warn
#auth           sufficient      pam_krb5.so             no_warn
try_first_pass
#auth           sufficient      pam_ssh.so              no_warn
try_first_pass
auth            required        pam_unix.so             no_warn
try_first_pass
auth            required        pam_permit.so

# account
#account        required        pam_krb5.so
account         required        pam_unix.so

# session
#session        optional        pam_ssh.so
session         required        pam_permit.so

What am I missing?

Also, if I select "Reboot" or "Shut down" from the logout menu as root,
the machine just hangs.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris Radlinski