SNMP MIBs for HP Proliant?

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Mon Aug 2 14:54:21 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Ewald Jenisch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For a HP Compaq Proliant DL360 I'm looking for the SNMP-MIBs that
> cover the following items:
>
> o) Disk-IO
> o) Disk-usage (capacity used)
> o) Memory usage
> o) Compaq/HP Smartarray (Compaq Smart Array 5i), esp. disk failure etc.
> o) CPU Usage (two Xeons running SMP (hyperthreading to 4 virtual CPUs)
> o) Network-IO
>
> Does anybody know where I can get hold of the respective MIBs?
>
> Somewhat related to the above question: Is it possible to make the
> respective MIB variables available via net-snmp in order to either
> poll them (snmp read) or send traps when reaching certain thresholds?
> I esp. thought about sending traps when e.g. the smartarray reports a
> problem, disks become full etc.

The MIBs (basically translation from numerical OID -> human readable
description with comment field) as such are freely available from HP,
they are supplied
on the CD that comes with every box, or downloadable as softpaq.

What you probably mean, is the SNMP Agent, which is responsible for
collecting the data as such, and supply those to the snmp package (in
this case, net-snmp) for further treatment.
AFAIK those agents are binary only, and it should be quite difficult to
get them run even under linux emu.

At work, I have a couple of 360/380 running Win2003, that are being
monitored by a FreeBSD box with net-snmp/nagios. Also have to use the HP
MIBs there, works like a charm.  But you are looking for a solution to
have native agents with FreeBSD, and that is going to be difficult.

HTH
Olaf

Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)