Some trouble with LD_PRELOAD in 4.10

Jamie jamie at gnulife.org
Mon Aug 2 12:21:08 PDT 2004

    I'm running into some difficulty getting applixware running on my 4.10
install. When I try to execute applix, I get the error:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/X11R6/lib/libgtk12.so.2: Undefined symbol
"getresuid"

   Apparently getresuid is coming up undefined, so, I tried writing a
piece of code called getresuid.cc:

#include <sys/types.h>
int getresuid(uid_t *, uid_t *, uid_t *) { return 1; }

  and I compiled it:

cc -Wall -shared -fPIC -DPIC -o getresuid.so getresuid.cc

  and moved my resulting getresuid.so into /usr/local/lib.

  I then tried starting applix with this startup code:

#!/bin/sh
APPLIX_HOME="/usr/local/applix"
export APPLIX_HOME
LD_PRELOAD="/usr/local/lib/getresuid.so"
export LD_PRELOAD
exec $APPLIX_HOME/applix "$@"

   Which did not work (I still get the same error:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/X11R6/lib/libgtk12.so.2: Undefined symbol
getresuid

  I tried another approach to the startup script, which also failed in
the same way:

#!/bin/sh -
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/getresuid.so
applix $*

   Anyone have any suggestions? It seems as though even though I am
defining LD_PRELOAD, it isn't loading when the program is run.

   Thanks,

   - Jamie

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (95% of Full)