Chess for Kids (and dummies like dads)

Kevin Stevens freebsd at pursued-with.net
Mon Aug 2 09:52:55 PDT 2004

As a BSD user, I can't help you.  As a chess player, I will comment that
there's a certain learning curve involved, and playing against random
moves isn't going to advance you far along it.  I've never known anyone to
become even moderately facile at chess without getting their head pounded
in on a regular basis.  If you or your son's ego isn't up to that, OSB
(Other Sports Beckon).  ;)

That said, the MOST frustrating part of learning chess is usually
tactical, not strategic (inadvertently throwing away pieces).  There are a
number of good web/Java based free chess games on the net - have you tried
any of them?  Many will show possible moves, blink to indicate pieces at
risk, etc.

KeS