Solution: FreeBSD and MySQL - mysqld eats CPU alive

Martin Blapp mb at imp.ch
Mon Aug 2 04:48:46 PDT 2004

Hi all,

We have many Mysql's running here, and just to tell you, there
are fixes/workarounds for the behaviour you see:

FreeBSD 4.8 / 4.9 / 4.10 :
--------------------------

Compile port with WITH_LINUXTHREADS=YES or remove tcpwrappers
support manually from the build if it hangs with libc_r. Use IP adresses for
master/slave configurations in my.cnf. On problem here is that getnamebyhost()
is not threadsafe. This produces the strange errors you see.

We run all mysqld without tcpwrappers support and do not have any
hangs anymore.

FreeBSD 5.2.1

You have to use libc_r.so libpthreads.so hangs occasionally

FreeBSD Current

You can use libpthrads.so or libc_r.so

Martin

Martin Blapp, <mb at imp.ch> <mbr at FreeBSD.org>