4.10 RELEASE XFree86-4-library / fontconfig install problem

freebsd at dreamchaser.org freebsd at dreamchaser.org
Sun Aug 1 22:48:56 PDT 2004

4.10 release, installing from CDs.
I initially tried an upgrade from 4.5, which failed (same problem
with XFree86 detailed below), so I did an install over the top
without X.

I'm now trying to install XFree86 from the ports collection.
When I attempt to make XFree86-4-libraries,
it fails building fontconfig:

fc-cache: "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1:" /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: Undefined symbol "FT_Get_BDF_Property"
*** Error code 1

Any hints as to what's going on and how to fix / get around it?

I've done a
   portupgrade -fFRNuv x11-fonts/fontconfig
   make
   make install (fails)
The error above occurs on the make install

The dependencies I have installed are:
   expat-1.95.7
   freetype2-2.1.7_3
   gettext-0.13.1_1