BigApache for Windows - Why doesn't BSD have an installer package like this ???

DK asdzxc111 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 1 20:33:31 PDT 2004

--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> You have lots of old (out of date) packages installed.  Have you gotten
> your FreeBSD workstation to connect to the network yet?  If yes, you can
> install `portupgrade' and use it to update all your packages/ports to
> their latest versions.

Hi Giorgos,

I don't feel safe yet connecting my unsecured box to the net with the 5-10 hits
a minute my W2000 box recieves on my broadband link. I have read the security
section of the manual & would like to get basics working before I rebuild the
kernel to install the firewall(which doesn't seem that easy but I will give it
try)

> This is probably not why xfce doesn't work though.  The
> sysutils/xfce4-utils package installs a command called "startxfce4".
> AFAIK, this is the program that fires up xfce.  When you install that
> package (as part of the dependency list of xfce4) you should be able to
> use xfce4 as your desktop by editing your ~/.xinitrc file and making
> sure that the last command it runs is:
>
> 	exec startxfce4

my .xinitrc file contains only the one line:
----------
exec startxfce4
----------

& it still won't start.
As I can't get it to start, I just delete this line using VI(I am getting
better :) & replace it with "exec wmaker" which starts OK.

> > 3)I am trying to install Apachetoolbox-1.5.70(it may well be a
> > BigApache for BSD :)) - but I get the errors "Command not found"
> > trying to run it:
> This is not the proper way to install ports or packages in FreeBSD.
> Please, refer to the Handbook section on ports and packages for details.
>
> > [snip irrelevant attempts to force bash to do something mysterious]

Apachetoolbox is not an official freeBSD port/package(www.apachetoolbox.com).
Its a script/ports pack that you run which creates all the scripts needed to
install a large array of Apache & other www stuff(eg. MySQL etc).

The install file that comes with it says to install it by running install.sh.

It says(further down) that "BSD users, the script interpreter of install.sh is
BASH (/bin/bash). - Thats why I started BASH - Do you know what the "bad
interpreter" error means ???

-----------------------
bash-2.05# ./install
bash: ./install: No such file or directory
bash-2.05# ./install.sh
bash: ./install.sh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
bash-2.05# ./install
bash: ./install: No such file or directory
----------------------

Apachetoolbox Install File(install.txt)
Install
=-=-=-=

1) as root run ./install.sh
 1a) if you're running the program for the 2nd time and don't want
    to change your options use the -f or --fast switch when running
    install.sh .
2) select what you want to compile into apache
 2a) type "apache" to get to the apache menu as shown in the menu
 2b) type "php" to get to the php menu as shown in the menu
 2c) type "page2" to get to the 2nd modules menu as shown in the menu
3) continue and let it compile by typing 'go'
 3a) if the source is missing it will try to download it
4) cd into the apache_1.3.* source directory
5) run "make" manually to compile apache, watch for errors
6) if everything went ok run "make install" to install/upgrade

Solaris/BSD users, the script interpreter of install.sh is BASH (/bin/bash).
Bash should be used, YMMV if you change it to /bin/sh.  The next major release
(2.x) will be in perl.  If your willing to help port it please get a hold of
me.
Frontpage 2002 Extentions require precompiled binaries.  So only linux,
freebsd, solaris (sparc and x86) are supported.  The binaries are about 10megs
compressed and only the linux tarball will be added to the script+sources
tarball. http://www.apachetoolbox.com for support and updates.

Kind Regards,

DK