Partition Magic & BSD partitions (was: something about Apache)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Aug 1 10:37:37 PDT 2004

On 2004-08-01 04:18, DK <asdzxc111 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Floppy & CD mount OK now, however even though the floppy mounts OK,
> when I mount the floppy, I get:
>
> 127# mount -v -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
> /dev/fd0 on /mnt (msdos, local, reads: sync 2 async 0)
>
> floppy: mount -v -t msdos /dev/fd0c /mnt
> CDROM: mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
>
> However, I can't seem to unmount them. I get "Command not found".
> 127# unmount /cdrom
> unmount: Command not found.

There is no "unmount" command.  Try "umount" without the extra 'n'.

> > > When I run partition magic in Win2000, its says that I have a BAD
> > > partition. Doing some searching, found that BSD messes up something
> > > with the sizes of the geometry of the selected partitions(slices) -
> > > still don't know how to fix this ???
> >
> > Don't "fix" anything.  It's more likely that just Partition Magic that
> > is brain-damaged and cannot read the BSD partition properly.
>
> No, partition magic can read the BSD partition correctly. PM is saying
> the whole primary parition (both Windows 2000 + FBSD) is BAD (nothing
> to do with surface errors)

I don't know anything about your partition table so I can't say for sure
if PartitionMagic has gone nuts or not.  I do remember it had "issues"
with BSD slices, but that was about a year ago.  I don't use PM so
knowing if these issues are resolved now is impossible for me.

> I can't remember where I read it (BSD site or book, will look later)
> but when you make the slices, the sizes must add up to a certain
> divisable number, otherwise part of the partition (small number like
> 1024kb) will be unusable.  Thats why PM is saying that the whole
> partition is BAD. But I don't know how to fix this ???

Use the "fdisk" command on your disk to print the partition table and
show me the output.  You should see something like this:

    # fdisk /dev/ad0
    ******* Working on device /dev/ad0 *******
    parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
    cylinders=87233 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

    Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
    parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
    cylinders=87233 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

    Media sector size is 512
    Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
    Information from DOS bootblock is:
    The data for partition 1 is:
    sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
        start 63, size 1012032 (494 Meg), flag 80 (active)
            beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
            end: cyl 62/ head 254/ sector 63
    The data for partition 2 is:
    sysid 6 (0x06),(Primary 'big' DOS (>= 32MB))
        start 1012095, size 2040255 (996 Meg), flag 0
            beg: cyl 63/ head 0/ sector 1;
            end: cyl 189/ head 254/ sector 63
    The data for partition 3 is:
    sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
        start 3052350, size 84871395 (41441 Meg), flag 0
            beg: cyl 190/ head 0/ sector 1;
            end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
    The data for partition 4 is:
    <UNUSED>