USB multi-card reader problems

Frank Altpeter frank at altpeter.de
Thu Apr 29 05:47:51 PDT 2004

[Compaq Armada E500 with 4.10-PRERELEASE running]

Hi folks,

I just got an USB-2.0 based multi-card reader, which enables me to
read CompactFlash, SDIO, MemoryStick and some other less important
card types.

But... it doesn't work and i'm a little bit confused.

When plugging in (with a CompactFlash card inserted), the message
log tells me:

Apr 29 14:38:34 pegasus /kernel: umass0: Ltd Winter Ver1.3, rev
2.00/0.05, addr 2, SCSI over Bulk-Only
Apr 29 14:38:34 pegasus /kernel: umass0:2:0:-1: Attached to scbus2
as device 0

So, it looks like there is generally no problem in accessing this
device. But i'm missing a device entry to mount.

The camcontrol command also doesn't list anything useful:

scbus2 on umass-sim0 bus 0:
<USB2.0 CardReader CF RW 0.0>>     at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (probe0)
<  >                               at scbus2 target -1 lun -1 ()

So, any hints how to access the inserted media devices? I used to
use a PCMCIA card for CompactFlash before, quite successfully, but i
need a multi-card reader now and the ones for PC-CARD slot are quite
rare or don't provide all the needed card slots...

With kind regards,

	Frank Altpeter