maxproc limit exceeded - need some help tuning the kernel parameters

Lasse Laursen laursen at netgroup.dk
Wed Apr 28 00:08:49 PDT 2004

Hi all,

We are experiencing a lot of there dmesg on a webserver of ours:

maxproc limit exceeded by uid 1, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5).

The /boot/loader.conf is:

# --- Generated by sysinstall ---
hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x2"
machdep.cpu_idle_hlt=0
kern.ipc.maxsockets=16424
kern.maxproc=12328
kern.maxprocperuid=11094
net.inet.tcp.tcbhashsize=65536

The sysctl settings are:

machdep.cpu_idle_hlt=0
vfs.nfs.iodmin=10

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=2097152
kern.ipc.somaxconn=8192
kern.ipc.maxsockets=16424
kern.maxfiles=65536
kern.maxfilesperproc=32768
net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=1
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.udp.recvspace=65535
net.inet.udp.maxdgram=57344
net.local.stream.recvspace=65535
net.local.stream.sendspace=65535
net.link.ether.inet.log_arp_wrong_iface=0
kern.logsigexit=0
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1

net.inet.ip.portrange.first=1024
net.inet.ip.portrange.last=20000

kern.threads.max_threads_per_proc=2500
kern.threads.max_groups_per_proc=2500

Each machine is a dual XEON with HTT enabled, 2GByte RAM. The webservers
running on the machine is Zeus and there is a total of 200 php responders
running as well.

Could anyone enlighten me why I hit this limit? And how to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance. :)

Regards
--
Lasse Laursen · VP, Hosting Technology · NetGroup A/S
St. Kongensgade 40H · DK-1264 Copenhagen K, Denmark

- Don't be fooled by cheap finnish imitations - BSD is the One True Code