DHCP Server

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Apr 27 13:34:13 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 03:13 pm, Kory Hamzeh wrote:
> > Try /usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp3/
>
> Thanks everyone for the super fast reply -- I knew the ISC server had
> to be there but I can't believe I didn't see it. However, when I try
> to install, I get:
>
> ns1# cd /usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp3
> ns1# make install
>
> >> dhcp-3.0b2pl24.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in
> >> /usr/ports/distfiles/. Attempting to fetch from
> >> ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/dhcp/.
>
> fetch: dhcp-3.0b2pl24.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found,
> no access)
>
> >> Attempting to fetch from
>
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
> fetch: dhcp-3.0b2pl24.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found,
> no access)
>
> >> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
> >> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
>
> *** Error code 1
>
> Its been at least 3 years since I've done this and can't remember how
> to fix this problem.
>
> Kory

The problem may be that you're using a very old system and ports tree.
As suggested in another response, you should consider upgrading.

If upgrading is not feasible; or if you need a fast solution while you
upgrade, you might consider buying a router with embedded dhcp server
capabilities.  Many of these dhcp servers are easily configured using
an internet browser.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould