NFS occassionally gives "permission" denied in the middle of a large transfer

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Mon Apr 26 15:46:34 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:47:10PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Apr 26), Tillman Hodgson said:
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:37:17PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > > The only time I've seen incorrect permission denied messages is when
> > > mountd is refreshing the exports list.  It's not atomic, so there's a
> > > small window where the old exports have been deleted but the new ones
> > > aren't in place yet.
> >
> > Is there anything in the default weekly cron jobs that would do
> > something like that on the file server?
>
> I don't think so.  Mounting or dismounting local (not NFS) filesystems
> might do it, but I'm not sure.

Including local filesystems that aren't exported?

If so, that's interesting because I do that in my weekly periodic cron
job. It's a simple script that umounts a backup partition, newfs's it,
dumps a local copy of /home over to it, and then re-mounts it (for easy
user-accessible near-line backup storage that doesn't require going to
tape for the "real" backup).

-T

--
"Ironically, Microsoft's efforts to deny interoperability of Windows with
legitimate non-Microsoft applications have created an environment in which