PPP

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Apr 23 01:35:59 PDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 10:18:19AM +0200, xavier collot wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm french and don't understand the chapter 18.2.1.2 (Creating PPP device Nodes) in the freeBSD handbook.

Yes.  It's a pity that

    http://www.fr.freebsd.org/doc/fr_FR.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/userppp.html

hasn't finished being translated yet.

> Precicely I don't understand what is N in the first paragraph. Is it necessary to change the tun0?

'N' is just being used as a variable there -- it just means you can
have any number of tun devices.  If you're just using the system to
dial into an ISP then you probably only need one.

> I have an other question.(I'm sorry if it seems stupid). Is it essential to have an Internet access to use PPP? I want use it between two networks but I haven't Internet in these two networks.

Sure -- you just need a couple of modems, a telephone line and a
little know-how: connectivity to the rest of the internet is not
necessary.  You should set up one of the machines as the server
(ie. takes the incoming phone call) and the other as client (ie. makes
the call) initially.  There are plenty of examples for setting up the
machine as a PPP server in /usr/share/examples/ppp.

> To finish how can I know my FreeBSD version?

    % uname -r

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way