newbie question: Gnome 2.6 upgrade

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Thu Apr 22 08:16:20 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:16:25AM -0400, Ian Bowers wrote:

> I'm having trouble upgrading to gnome 2.6.  I had gnome 2.4
> installed and running just fine.  I cvsup'd with the ports-supfile,
> and ran the gnome_upgrade.sh file.

Maybe dumb question: Did you upgrade "ruby" as instructed in
/usr/ports/UPDATING before upgrading Gnome? (I ran into that trap a
while ago)

> Since running cvsup and the upgrade, I can't run startx like I used
> to.

Are your problems only related to X11 - or do you have the problems
when running in "console"-mode too?

Try switching virtual terminals with <Alt><Ctrl><F-key> (like
<Alt><Ctrl><F2>). First of all this switches you out to a
console-terminal leaving X running and thus gives to the ability to
track things down further.

-ewald