broken pkgdb

David Moler dbmoler at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 00:42:57 PDT 2004

Greetings all,

I hope someone might be able to help me out.
My computer crashed while I was doing a portupgrade
-arR.  It seems that the +CONTENTS file was lost for
100 installed packages.  Following advice from various
mailing lists, I've tried rebuilding the pkgdb with
pkgdb -Fu (didn't fix problem) and creating empty
+CONTENTS files where they were deleted and rebuilding
with pkgdb -Fu (pkg_info runs okay, but pkg_version
reports each package "does not appear to be a valid
package!").  Others suggested deleting and
reinstalling the invalid packages, but I'm reluctant
to do this for 100 packages.  Is there any other way?

Thanks for your help.
David