Beginning C++ in FreeBSD

Daniela dgw at liwest.at
Tue Apr 20 13:22:25 PDT 2004

On Saturday 17 April 2004 12:38, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Where can I find simple and straight forward guide for Assembly for
> beginner.

Hi, sorry for the late answer, I couldn't check my mail earlier.

I found the following site to be quite helpful:
http://courses.ece.uiuc.edu/ece291/archive/fall2001/books/labmanual/
inst-ref.html

IMHO assembly is not really the language you learn best from books and
tutorials. Assembly *is* tedious if you aren't really in love with it.
Best thing would be: Get a good reference (like the above link), read a bit,
and then think of something you could do with that bit you already know. Then
write a small program and add more features to it as you read on. Don't
expect to understand everything immediately, it will become clear when you
try it out and see for yourself.

You can choose between AT&T syntax, Intel syntax and direct opcodes. Although
the latter is quite hard for seasoned high-level programmers, I would
definitely recommend it if you have no programming experience at all. If you
want to do this, I suggest that you have a look at the elf32.h and
elf_common.h files in /usr/include/sys.
I think Intel syntax is counter-intuitive, but that's really just a matter of
taste (the page above uses Intel syntax).

Hope that helps, if not then just ask.

Daniela