mouse in FreeBSD

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Mon Apr 19 14:06:04 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:00:41AM +0400, ilich wrote:
> Hello All!
> 1. My mouse has a fancy wheel.Can I use it in the X Window system?

Yes, the answer to this is partly related the question 2. This is also
in the FAQ:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html#X-AND-WHEEL

> 2. Can I use copy\cut\paste text with mouse in the console?

Yes, you can use the mouse daemon (moused).  Just edit your /etc/rc.conf
file and add the following lines:

moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"  # assuming you have a ps/2 mouse
moused_flags="-z 4"

Then configure X to use moused (sysmouse) by editing the input section
with the following:

Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
Option      "Buttons" "5"

> 4. Can I copy mouse options for X from Linux?

The options should be the same.

> 3. How do I copy\cut\paste text in Vim?

In X you just highlight and then middle-click to paste.

Nathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49