.htaccess in subdir of /usr/home/<username>/public_html

Glenn Sieb ges at wingfoot.org
Sun Apr 18 21:21:14 PDT 2004

Noah said the following on 4/19/2004 12:18 AM:

>thanks for your response but there are two files that I am using .htaccess and
>.htpasswd .  Might you be getting the .htaccess and .htpasswd file permissions
>mixed up?

Not at all. Both need to be world readable, or at least readable by the
user running apache.

>there is still no cure at this point since i check the file permissions and
>both .htaccess and .htpasswd are both world readable.  I even moved the
>.htpasswd to the same subdirectory with world readable permissions and still
>there is no password prompt from my browser.  I go directly to the directory
>index of /usr/home/<username>/public_html/<subdir>/
>
>here are the permissions of the files:
>
>-rw-r--r--  1 <username>  <username>  101 Apr 18 16:09
>/usr/home/<username>/public_html/<subdir>/.htaccess
>
>and
>
>-rw-r--r--  1 <username>  <username>  21 Apr 18 16:09
>/usr/home/<username>/public_html/<subdir>/.htpasswd
>
>any other ideas?

So when you go to http://yourserver/~yourusername/subdir it doesn't
prompt you for anything?

Check it against this:

AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile htpasswd.file.location.and.name.here
AuthName "Something to make sense"
require valid-user

Best,
Glenn