What happened after gnome upgrade??

Ralph M. Los Ralph at boundariez.com
Fri Apr 16 05:11:52 PDT 2004

::-----Original Message-----
::From: mark rowlands [mailto:mark.rowlands at mypost.se]
::Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 2:45 PM
::To: Bart Silverstrim
::Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
::Subject: RE: What happened after gnome upgrade??
::
::> >> Now with Gnome-2.6 upgraded (mostly  OK, crashed )
::
::mostly ok ? ooops!
::
::> >> towards the VERY end...), all my things don't work right
::anymore.
::> >> All apps like GnomeMeeting, the battery meter, etc appear to be
::> >> completely messed up.  For the most part, they run, but
::> none of the
::> >> words, etc are there!  The battery meter, when I click
::on it, only
::> >> shows the "Do Not Enter" ERROR box, no text and nothing
::> else visible
::> >> - again, no words, etc.  The same goes for GnomeMeeting.
::> Also when I
::> >> try to run the proccess display applet, nothing shows
::up, just the
::> >> line graph of CPU usage, but nothing such as process names,
::> >> descriptions, etc or menu items along the top shows up
::> anymore.  HOW
::> >> do I fix this?!
::> >
::> > GTK+ was updated recently and this sounds like what happens
::> when apps
::> > that use it get out of sync with it. You will have to recompile
::> > everything that uses GTK+. I suggest portupgraded.
::> >
::> > /me recently saw this himself with the gtk apps he uses
::when updated
::> > gtk+
::>
::> Are you saying that a portupgrade -fRra is required?
::
::>From the faq......
::
::>> Oops! I ran portupgrade(1)! What do I do?
::
::Do not worry; hope is not lost. Running portupgrade(1) will
::cause the build to fail, but it will not cause any lasting
::damage to your ports tree, unless you have done
::something exceptionally creative. Simply download the
::gnome_upgrade.sh script and
::run it, and pretend that you ran it in the first place.
::Nobody needs to know that
::you didn't read the directions first!
::
::The upgrade failed; what do I do?
::
::Unfortunately, this is not only possible, it's highly
::probable. There are many possible valid GNOME configurations,
::and even more invalid starting points. If the script fails,
::follow the instructions in the error message to let the
::FreeBSD GNOME team know about
::the failure.
::
::The majority of build failures will be dependency-related
::issues. One simple way to resolve the problem is to remove
::the offending port, re-run gnome_upgrade.sh, and then
::reinstall the port when the upgrade process is complete.
::
::
::
::_______________________________________________
::
::To unsubscribe, send any mail to
::"freebsd-questions-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"
::

Thanks Mark - but I did run the gnome-upgrade.sh script provided off
their site.  It left a temp log file, which got erased when I rebooted.
I'm wondering if I should try and run it again, and keep all the debug
info this time?  Maybe that would help me debug this problem...

Has anyone else had this sort of...weird...glitch?

Ralph