Beginner's question about csh/tcsh

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu Apr 15 13:23:36 PDT 2004

> >>Root uses csh by default.
> >
> > Well, I'll be darned.  It does now.
>
> BTW.  I login as normal user and "su" to root for adminstrative tasks.
>
> I checked what shell root was using and it was sh (/bin/sh).  So the
> information on my first post was inaccurate.  My bad. I thought the
> shell was csh.

I guess that is now the default.

> So, I changed root's shell to csh.  The problem of no .history via up
> and down arrows went away.  The arrow keys now access the .history file.
>
> Strange.  Did I possibly do something to screw up the sh shell?

I don't remember the FreeBSD version being mentioned.   Maybe if it
is old enough, it would be /bin/sh.   It used to be that I think
some time ago.  I don't remember how far back (or maybe if I am
thinking of a different UNIX).

Otherwise, someone (you?) may have modified the root entry on your
machine in /etc/passwd to have /bin/sh as its shell for some reason.

////jerry