Will FreeBSD work on my hardware?

Benjamin Meade ben at lanwest.com.au
Tue Apr 13 22:05:23 PDT 2004

apeak at softhome.net wrote:
> I'd like to try FreeBSD, but I have some problem hardware that I'm
> having trouble getting Linux on.  It's an AMD64 with an NForce ethernet,
> and an external Iomega Zip Drive plugged into the USB port.  Also, I
> want to dual-boot with Window XP, and I want read access to the NTFS
> partition.  Is it doable?

Everything is doable.

Firstly, decide on which release you want - 5.x or 4.x. 4.x is the stable
version, but I don't know if it supports the amd64 chipset. According to the
website (http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64.html) it is a fully supported
chipset, but I don't see mention of it under the 4.x release notes. Maybe
somebody more familar with the 4.x series could fill in this blank.

For compatable hardware, see
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/hardware.html
or
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.9R/hardware.html

Dual booting with windows should present no major problems as long as you read
the manual before experimenting. And backup your data beforehand. Searching
through the archives of this list seems to indicate that GAG is the way to go
(http://gag.sourceforge.net/). I've never acutally used it, so do a bit of
research before jumping in.

Readonly access to NTFS partitions should work fine. Writing is even supported
to a limited extent. See
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount_ntfs&sektion=8
for more info.

Also, google can solve a lot of time. (Searching for, say, "howto dual boot
freebsd windows xp"), and the freebsd website has a LOT of info.

Hope this helps.

--
Benjamin Meade
System Administrator