problems with .bashrc

fudo fudo at spamblocked.com
Tue Apr 13 21:19:42 PDT 2004

Tue Apr 13 19:24:27 PDT 2004, Parv at pair.com wrote:

 >> There are several uncommented alias lines in the .shrc file, but
 >> none of them work.  From what I've read, bash should read .profile
 >> and .shrc, but just

 > There is no mention of '.shrc' in bash(1) (2.05b.007 version here).

I noticed that. "From what I've read" refers to what's in FreeBSD
Unleashed, 2nd ed. I wonder if the authors just got it wrong; their
example for changing PS1 to show the working directory at the prompt is
wrong. Anyone familiar with the book care to comment?

 > So you tried putting debugging statements in the four files so far
 > mentioned, and got the output from them but aliasing consistently
 > failed?

Ah, no. I've just been editing the files, and then logging out and back
in to see if things work.

 > 0. Create .bash{_profile,rc} properly.  Read bash(1); search the
 >    Internet, comp.unix.{shell,misc,questions} newsgroups in
 >    particular, for examples, solutions/hints.

Kinda looks like I've been barking up the wrong tree, given your
examples. More research in order, thanks for the help (Viktor too).

fudo at spamblocked.com