fetchmail and spam assassin

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Apr 13 04:56:48 PDT 2004

"dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> writes:

> Does anyone have fetchmail retrieving mail from an ISP account then sending
> it through spamassassin/an MTA junk mail filter? I've got an account that is
> being spammed and i'd like to set this up, but although i can retrieve the
> mail via fetchmail, i can not get it to go through postfix which is running
> on the same box and which has spamassassin and some other anti-uce filters
> in place.

The typical configuration of fetchmail just feeds the mail back into
the local MTA for delivery.  That should take care of your situation,
and is exactly what I do myself.

My .fetchmailrc looks like:
    ### Lowell'g configuration for fetchmail

    ## universal
    # (to make it look kosher coming into port 25)
    set invisible

    # get mail for lowell.gilbert at comcast.net
    poll mail.example.com proto pop3
       username "lgilbert" password "example"
       ssl
       antispam 451
       is lowell+ispmbox at be-well.ilk.org here

>  Also on the subject of spamassassin a lot of junk is still getting through,
> is there a FreeBSD specific spam assassin configuration tutorial or howto?

I don't think so.  I can't imagine what would be FreeBSD-specific
about any such configuration.