ssh root denied

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Mon Apr 12 13:12:28 PDT 2004

RazorOnFreeBSD wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have some troubles with ssh....
> I have a Freebsd server 4.9 working in a closet without screen.
> So I would like to use it through ssh from another station with OpenSSH to configure it when I need it.
> I can connect with a user login / password, but not with root / password.
> Is there any reason ? did I miss something ?

It's denied by default, as a security matter. You actually want to login
and use 'su -' instead of login as root directly.

If you really want to enable it,

Edit the file
/etc/ssh/sshd_config
#PermitRootLogin yes

Remove the hash.

But, know that it's not secure, and you really don't want that.
The login as normal user, (which need to be in the wheel group) and then
su -'ing isn't that much work and doesn't take that much time, but it's
more secure.

Cheers

--

Kind regards,