Step-by-step to upgrade Perl

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 12:30:58 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 01:30:37PM -0300, scuba at centroin.com.br wrote:

> 	I'd like to upgrad Perl to 5.8 using ports on FreeBSD 4.7, but
> how to do that in order to completely overwrite the old version (5.5.3).
> 	Which is the correct steps to upgrade Perl?

No -- it's a lot easier than you seem to think.

   i) Install the perl5.8 port:

        # portinstall lang/perl5.8

       - or -

        # cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
        # make install

  ii) Set the new version of perl to be the default. (This also turns
      off building perl as part of the base system):

        # use.perl port

 iii) Re-install any 3rd party modules, etc that you've installed so
      the new perl can access them.  There should be a neater way of
      doing this...

        # find /usr/local/lib/perl5/{site_perl/5.005,5.00503} -type f -print0 | \
              xargs -0 -n 1 pkg_which | sort -u > /tmp/perl-ports
        # vi perl-ports

          [ Sanity check the results: take out any non-ports (like
           '?'), ports that are now bundled with perl or that you no longer
            wish to have installed ]

        # portupgrade -f `cat /tmp/perl-ports`

Et voila.  New version of perl installed and ready to go.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way