Calling the pros .. sound troubleshooting

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon Apr 12 10:35:27 PDT 2004

On Monday 12 April 2004 01:46 pm, Mazen S. Alzogbi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I already posted this question in this list and got some answers that
> was half-solutions to my case. I read a lot about this issue in every
> resource I could get my hands on. I am very keen to make my sound
> system work on my FreeBSD 4.9 system. This is a laptop with built-in
> sound system. It's not old, pretty new so I suppose PCM is my way to
> go.
>
> I recompiled the kernel aftering adding "device pcm". After reboot
> and dmesg | grep pcm I get the following:
>
> pcm0: <SiS 7012> at device 2.7 on pci0
> pcm0: unable to map IO port space
> device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> Can someone please guide me through the process of troubleshooting in
> a step-by-step fashion?

There isn't one.

I see the following and all I did was add "option pcm" and follow the
steps in the Handbook. Since it isn't working for you, you may have
some competition for the I/O port space.

pcm0: <SiS 7012> port 0xc400-0xc43f,0xc800-0xc8ff irq 10 at device 2.7
on pci0
pcm0: <C-Media Electronics CMI9738 AC97 Codec>

You might get a clue by running "pciconf -l". You might also find
something by doing a "boot -v" instead of booting the normal way.

They may have added a new chipset and you need the pciconf information
to patch the sound driver. Everytime I have received a "returned 6", I
have had to program something or get some one else to do it. Your best
bet there is the people that are maintaing pcm.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA