Vim and NFS and ipfilter(strange problem)

Vincent Vandalon v.vandalon at student.tue.nl
Sun Apr 11 03:35:22 PDT 2004

Hi all,

i've set up a firewall with ipfilter. Since i use the deny stance, i
needed to jump trough some hoops to get NFS working.
I am currently just manually mapping the ports mountd is using. But it
seems to work... for 99%

I am able to do with the mounted nfs disk what i want, i can create new
files( 'touch newfile' and vi 'newfile2' and i can write content in the
file with vi) i can delete, read.
But(...) when i use viM it will hangs it self. I can't manually kill
it(exit-status doesn't matter, it won't die). And i don't get an error,
so i have no clue what's wrong. My guess is that it is still busy,
looped or something...

So i removed(==recompiled kernel) ipfilter and vim worked fine on the
nfs mount. Recompiled my kernel again with ipfilter and vim hang itself
again. So it is vim+ipfilter

I think it is still something with my configuration fo ipfilter, i have
a basic rules set. I am still in the learning/finetuning phase, but i
coulnd't find anything about this on google, onlamp, freebsddiary etc.

Regards Vincent

=================config file (sorry comments are in dutch, but still
reable in english i guess)===============

#een regel om kleine packages te blokken
block in log quick on rl0 from any to any with short

#Alle tcp blokken
block in log proto tcp all flags S/SA

#webserver laten zien
pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = www keep state

#ssh door laten
pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = ssh keep state
pass in quick proto udp from any to any port = ssh keep state

#pop door laten
pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = pop3 keep state

#imap doorlaten
pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = 143 keep state
pass in quick proto udp from any to any port = 143 keep state

#smtp ook maar doolaten, in en uit
pass in quick proto tcp from any to any port = 25 keep state
pass out quick proto tcp from any to any port = 25 keep state

#nfs
pass in quick proto tcp/udp from any to any port = 2049 keep state
pass out quick proto tcp/udp from any to any port = 2049 keep state

pass in quick proto tcp/udp from any to any port = 111 keep state
pass out quick proto tcp/udp from any to any port = 111 keep state

#hack voor mountd
pass in quick proto tcp/udp from any to any port = 1021 keep state
pass in quick proto tcp/udp from any to any port = 1023 keep state

#samba doorlaten
pass in quick on rl0 proto udp from any to any port = 137 keep state
pass in quick on rl0 proto udp from any to any port = 138 keep state
pass in quick on rl0 proto tcp from any to any port = 139 keep state

#printer
pass in quick on rl0 proto tcp/udp from any to any port = 515 keep state

#dns server
pass out quick on rl0 proto tcp/udp from any to any port = 53 keep state

#eigen verbindingen toestaan
pass out quick on rl0 proto tcp all keep state