AGP Probe problems (5.2.1/5.2/4.9)

nathan swenson nathan_swenson at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 10 21:36:17 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD for the first time, but I've run into a
problem. I have tried 4.9, 5.2, and 5.2.1. There are a couple of symptoms
for what I think are the same problem.

1. On booting from the CD, during the machine hangs after the following
message (I'm guessing it is probing the hardware):

agp0: <Intel 82443BX (440 BX) host to PCI bridge> mem 0-0xffffffff at
device 0.0 on pci0

The same thing happens regardless of which boot option I choose (regular,
no ACPI, safe, etc).

So I couldn't install from CD. After some experimentation, I ended up
booting from the floppy images (apparently the floppy images don't do the
same stuff to probe the hardware). I was able to install just fine this
way.

But when I booted the machine after the install completed, I get the same
message.

Can anyone help me? I would really like to use FreeBSD on this machine.

The hardware is:
HP NetServer e60
dual P3-500
256mb ram
SCSI and IDE drives

I have successfully used Linux (2.2 and 2.4 kernels, RedHat), Solaris, and
Windows 2000 on this hardware. The AGP implementation may be buggy on the
hardware, but these other OSes work ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nate Swenson