WebMail

eric at epetech.plus.com eric at epetech.plus.com
Fri Apr 9 01:49:23 PDT 2004

Shawn Guillemette wrote:

> From owner-freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.ORG  Thu Apr  8 19:59:55 2004
> From: "Shawn Guillemette" <shawn at guillemette.org>
> To: "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:59:57 -0400
> Subject: WebMail
>
> I'm looking into options for webmail.. was looking for ideas... Looking for
> something with a good how to .. ;-)

I also looked into this recently. There are a number of options, and
they all work quite differently. Some are just a web-based mail client,
that expect to talk to an existing IMAP server (squirrelmail) which may
or may not live on the same server; others are a client AND mail server
in their own right and expect to directly manipulate mailboxes/maildirs
(openwebmail, sqwebmail).

In my case, we had users already with OE/Mozilla via IMAP/POP3 connecting
to a dovecot mail server. Since this already provides IMAP funcationality,
and maintains indexes etc, it didnt make sense to run something that
wanted to directly touch the maildirs - so I went with squirrelmail.

Currently, its installed on a different server to the mail server, and is
quite happy talking imaps (secure IMAP, port 993) to dovecot.

It was relatively easy to setup (hardest part was probably the PHP4
dependency, which I'd never touched before), and has good documentation
online (though not always easy to find what you're looking for). It
has a nice selection of plugins, too, which I've started to play around
with and customise.

Cheers,

Eric.