unable to use BOOT EASY to boot linux

Gary W. Swearingen underway at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 17:05:37 PDT 2004

Tadimeti Keshav <keshav_tadimeti at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> hi all.
> I added a 2 GB linux disk as a slave and installed
> Mandrake Linux with LILO on the root partition of
> linux.
>
> I am trying configure Boot Easy to boot linux.
> Since FreeBSD occupies all of the 1st HD, should I
> install a STANDARD boot loader on first or on both
> Hard disks.

I'm not exactly sure what "Boot Easy" is, but the standard FreeBSD MBR
(as installed by boot0cfg or sysinstall) can only boot another boot
record and only those on that disk's primary partitions or the MBR of
another disk.  If you're going to have BootEasy on the first disk, you
probably want LILO in the second disk's MBR, but you could put a
second BootEasy (or other boot loader) in the second disk's MBR and
put LILO in one of the second disk's primary partitions.  LILO works
(or used to) even on an extended primary partition which has extended
secondary (AKA logical) partitions.