HEADS UP: GNOME 2.6 released!

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Wed Apr 7 16:37:44 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 05:40:56PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 00:13, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> >
> > I'm running XFree86 4.4, which I installed from binaries on
> > the XFree86 site. This is working fine for me, except that I
> > often have to skip portinstall and use "make install" from the
> > relevant directory, because of all the dependencies on 4.3
> > versions of things. (Using -O to force never seems to work;
> > it'll build but then hang on the "Uninstalling the old version"
> > stage.)
[...]
> > Is there any way I can upgrade to GNOME 2.6, or do I have to
> > wait until XFree86 4.4 makes it into Ports, whenever that is?
>
> You'll have to do it manually, but you're most likely going to run into
> problems.  One thought might be to install the ports version of X, then
> upgrade GNOME, then reinstall XF86 4.4.

Thanks! A variant of that did the trick, namely to delete the 4.4
install, portinstall the Server-snap version, do the GNOME update,
and realize that my needed driver is provided in 4.3.99, and I'm
good to go.

I am, however, having a problem with the login session. When I
try to log in, I instantly get an error message with "Your
session only lasted less than 10 seconds"; I can use the Failsafe
GNOME session without a problem, and .xsession-errors tells me
that

  /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libutil.so.3" not found

I do have libutil.so.4 installed; is there some different package
I need that provides 3? I did reinstall gnomesession, but the
result was the same.

Thanks! I googled for this but no one else seems to have reported
the problem.

Jesse Sheidlower