Vinum + new disk for mirror

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 5 15:42:56 PDT 2004

On Monday,  5 April 2004 at 12:42:12 -0400, Rob Ellis wrote:
> We have a machine with a vinum mirror, all the partitions except
> the root partition mirrored between two disks. The second
> disk has died and I want to replace it. I can't find a disk exactly
> the same, so I have a disk that's bigger (80GB, old one was 60GB).

That's not a problem.  Vinum doesn't use disks.

> Can I...
>
>    - shutdown, replace the bad disk with the bigger new disk
>    - boot single user, mount /
>    - copy the good disk to the new disk with:
>       dd bs=128k if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad2
>    - vinum start
>    - restart any stale subdisks (?)
>    - ...

You can, though you'll need a couple more steps.  But why don't you
follow the instructions?
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/replacing-drive.html or
http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.pdf.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.