Boot failure: CD-ROM problem [taskqueue stalled]

Ryan MacDonald admin at pchg.net
Mon Apr 5 09:11:36 PDT 2004

I have a system here that occasionally hangs while the kernel is booting. It
happens as the CD-ROM drive is being initialized. Here's the error:

acd0: WARNING - MODE_SENSE_BIG interrupt was seen but taskqueue stalled

This doesn't happen every time - usually if I restart the system following the
error, it will start right up. When the kernel does boot okay, here's that same
line:
acd0: CDROM <ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 32X MAXIMUM> at ata1-master PIO0

I found the module responsible for generating the error message - ata-queue.c -
but I don't know enough to follow the C code to understand what's happening:
"http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/dev/ata/ata-queue.c"

I know the drive works - I used it to install the system. I would be interested
to know what the cause of this error is and if there is a convenient workaround.
If not, it's no tragedy if I have to pull the drive out. On the other hand, this
could be symptomatic of a problem with the ata system in FreeBSD. In any case,
your help is appreciated.

Here's what's in and on this thing:
FreeBSD 5.2.1 (problem exisits with custom and GENERIC kernels)
Pentium 233 / 64 MB / Intel 430TX chipset with PIIX4 UDMA33 controller
Acer 32x CD-ROM at secondary master

Thanks
Ryan