HEADS UP: GNOME 2.6 released!

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 4 21:00:52 PDT 2004

The FreeBSD GNOME Team is delighted to announce the release of the GNOME
2.6 Desktop and Developer suites for FreeBSD.  Accompanying this release
are the usual meta-port bumps for the GNOME Fifth Toe, Power Tools,
Hacker Tools, and Office.

For the highlights of what's new in GNOME 2.6, please checkout our
upgrade FAQ at:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq26.html

This page will give GNOME users a script which they can use to assist
with the upgrade.  IF YOU ARE A GNOME DESKTOP USER, YOU MUST USE THIS
SCRIPT TO UPGRADE.

If you'd rather install from packages, go to
http://www.marcuscom.com/tinderbox/ where you will find i386 packages
for all supported FreeBSD versions.

In addition to the GNOME-wide improvements in GNOME 2.6, there have been
some FreeBSD-specific additions as well.  First, certain types of media
(e.g. CD-ROMs, floppies, etc.) are now mountable dynamically for
Nautilus.  This release also consolidates the KDE menus (if KDE is
installed) so there isn't as much clutter under the Applications menu.
Finally, we have a spiffy new splash screen created by Franz Klammer.

As always, GNOME on FreeBSD would not be possible without the effort of
this team (http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/contact.html), its alumni, and
our users.  We would especially like to thank the following users that
helped by testing GNOME 2.5, and providing patches:

Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>
Khairil Yusof <kaeru at pd.jaring.my>
Koop Mast <kwm at rainbow-runner.nl>
Simon Barner <barner at in.tum.de>
Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org>
Scott Dodson <sdodson at sdodson.com>
Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova at sw.ru>

Marcus on behalf of the FreeBSD GNOME Team

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome