ports hosed

Jay Moore jaymo at cromagnon.cullmail.com
Sun Apr 4 12:18:39 PDT 2004

---- <snip> ----

> > What is this? I don't understand the question... Is this documented
> > anywhere?
>
> You didn't do a portupgrade -rRa. The easy way is to upgrade or install
> openssl-0.9.7d.

Thanks, Kent. I was following the procedure in /usr/ports/UPDATING, and the
question seemed so out of context... I mean "openoffice-1.1.0_1(score:23%)" -
what's with that?

Anyway, as I read ports-using.html from the Handbook, portupgrade -a is a
"superset" of "portupgrade -rRa"... is that correct?

Bottom line here (in my case) is this: I'm afraid my ports tree may be BFU;
this all started when I tried to install the "K3b" port which apparently has
a bazillion dependencies. At least one of the tar.gz files couldn't be
located, and things have kind of gone downhill from there :(    For me, I'm
afraid that salvation may require "wiping" the entire ports tree, and
re-installing it from the 5.2 cd.   Is there a safe & clean way  to do that?

Thanks,
Jay