COM2 Problems

Scott Palmer scott at unixheads.com
Fri Sep 26 11:34:46 PDT 2003

I am running 4.8-RELEASE and I am having issues getting COM2 setup. We
have a need to connect to another machine's console with this machine. In
the BIOS COM2 is setup for IRQ3, not auto. Yet on boot I get the
following:

sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

COM1 on this machine is working and I can console from the other machine
back to the this machine. A few searches indicate that I could put
something in the /boot/kernel.conf to some how get this to work, but they
did not go into detail on what to place in there. In my kernel I have the
following:

device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3

Which I think is the default. Getting someone to actually be on keyboard
with this machine is a little hard so hopefully I can get this fixed at
the OS level.

Is there a method I can have the system check to see what is at what IRQ?
I have access via console to the boot loader.. Perhaps the person who
configured the BIOS for me actually set the wrong IRQ and I need to change
it in my kernel?

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated..

Scott