FreeBSD download

bernardos at cits.br bernardos at cits.br
Tue Sep 30 13:03:44 PDT 2003

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm interested in using FreeBSD as part of rearrengement of my professional skills.
I'm currently studing Linux but I'd like to feel a bit of a true UNIX system.

I noticed FreeBSD is presented in a 4 CD set case by FreeBSD Mall, for example.
However, the download options are different.
I supose the minimum I might download is:
   4.8-RELEASE-i386-disk1.iso (610.4MB)
   4.8-RELEASE-i386-disk2.iso (259.1MB)

What is in fact the other 2 files? I.e.:
  4.8-RELEASE-i386-mini.iso (199.6MB) and
  CHECKSUM.MD5 (203 bytes)

Do I need them too?

What shall be the 5.x release? What is the "new technology" you will include in it?
I might probably buy it (a combo promotion of 4 CD set + Handbook 2nd edition).
However I'd like to know a bit more about it first.

Could you send me more information in order to clarify my doubts, please?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards,
Bernardo
+55 41 9911-2666