Changing from POP3 server to IMAP server

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Tue Sep 30 13:15:27 PDT 2003

Hi Naveen,

--On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 12:42:00 PM -0700 Naveen Glore
<freebsdsl1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In mailserver I think the messages will be stored in var/mail/accountname
> (correct me if i am wrong). I have very less disk space for /var. This
> was not a concern with POP3 because messages get deleted from server. Now
> with IMAP i think i need to do something for it. Is there a way to direct
> mails to /usr. Does this message redirection create any problem in
> configuring MUA?.

If you set up qmail to use /Maildir/ format, mail is stored in each users
home dir under his/hers Maildir, so it would be under /usr/home/whomever...
even root, for security reasons is assigned or aliased to a user. A Maildir
is made with the command maildirmake as that user, in his $HOME. You can
put in a Maildir in skel and it will automatically make a Maildir for each
new user.  Inside each Maildir there are 3 dirs, new, cur, tmp.. This is
automatically created with the maildirmake command. Don't worry, if you
will use IMAP, any MUA that can use IMAP will read the dirs properly...
Providing you use a IMAP client that supports Maildir, as mentioned,
Bincimap or Courier.

--
Gary