rebuilding after CVSUP

Toni Schmidbauer toni at stderror.at
Tue Sep 30 09:03:18 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 03:41:54PM -0400, Brent Bailey wrote:
> Im running 5 4.8rc1 FBSD machines ..ive already done a cvsup ..im getting
> ready to do the rebuild of the systems
>
> Ive been reffering to the howtos on www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd
>
> but id like to get the lists opinion on this seeing as these are
> production machines im working on.

- first i would recommend reading the handbook about buildworld
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

- if this are production machines, i would use tag=RELENG_4_8
  so you are only updating to the latest security branch.
  developers at freebsd.org are currently preparing to release 4.9
  so -stable could be shaky.

- in a production environment, always try the update on a test maschine (which
  should be identical to the prod machines)

- you could try updating the servers over nfs, see the handbook mentioned above.

if you read the documentation really carefully, there is nothing to be afraid of.
i am updating my servers since 3 years via cvsup/installworld and never had a
problem (thanks to the freebsd team :-).

hth,
toni
--
Kann man etwas nicht verstehen, dann urteile man | toni at stderror dot at
lieber gar nicht, als dass man verurteile.       | Toni Schmidbauer