FreeBSD-4.8-p10 <--> Random reboots after swapping motherboard, cpu, memory

nw1 network101 at covad.net
Mon Sep 29 12:56:19 PDT 2003

There weren't any hardware or architecture specific optimizations with the initial
install, hence I don't think compiling just the kernel for our most recent motherboard
would solve anything.  I will say this; since we first posted this, we found out things
were a bit out of sync (userland/kernel) and have since build and installed world and
kernel.  That solved the reboot issue, but it seems something else is corrupt within this
install.

Currently the box is UP and sitting idle, we look in on it every now an then to see if it
randomly reboot since the most recent build/installworld.  Soon the Tyan boards (S-2466)
will be returned to us.  With that being said, we may wait for those original boards to
return and pop the hdd's back in their original place and see if things work, or if the
install is wrecked beyond recognition (continued problems).  Then we may very well
dump|restore our valuable,data onto a fresh install.

Other than that, trying to make it work with this most recent gigabyte setup may not be
worth it and cause more problems than our original one.  All we wanted to do was keep the
box UP while the Tyan boards RMA'd.

If you can offer anything further it would be most appreciated

Thanks. :-)