portsentry - flushing hosts.deny

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 09:25:41 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:10:22AM -0800, Noah wrote:

> FreeBSD 4.8 - stable
>

> can somebody tell me how to get portsentry to flush the hosts.deny file?  or
> do I just need to remove the contents manually and restart portsentry?

You don't need to do that for two reasons:

i) tcp_wrappers re-reads it's configuration file automatically
whenever a new connection gets made to a wrapped service: any changes
will be picked up instantaneously.

ii) Under FreeBSD the default is to compile tcp_wrappers using the
optional host_options(5) style.  That means that only /etc/hosts.allow
is consulted, and each rule in that file contains an extra final field
(compared to the hosts_access(5) style) which says whether the rule is
an ALLOW or DENY rule.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way